Monday, November 09, 2009

Good Health Should Be A Right

I've kept quiet long enough about this health care issue. I know I'll alienate some friends, but sometimes PRINCIPLES are more important.

My firm belief is that the United States should be a place that everyone has the RIGHT to be healthy if at all possible. That is NOT true now. Economic status, genetic disposition, race, age, current health status and the greed of many health care insurers and drug companies all conspire to keep many people from getting health care or proper health care.

The United States and it's voters should be ashamed of itself. We are not anywhere near the top of the worldwide list of good health care providers. We rank 30th in access to healthcare among the worlds nations. We rank..... We have some of the best technology and doctors and yet one of the worst records for a 1st tier nation for delivering it.

I think this entire health care issue is driven by one thing: selfishness and economic greed. Everyone is concerned about how it will affect THEM personally. Few people seems concerned about the greater issues of morality and future stability of this country. A country full of sick people is not an efficient country. A country where millions go sick because they are poor is a morally corrupt country, in my opinion. The homeless problem in this country is a complicated one, but ask yourself this: if I was sick would I feel like looking for a job and improving myself? Most homeless people are sick a lot of the time due to their poor living conditions. If they had access to proper health care, I doubt many of them would be homeless. I believe that if you ask people where they stand on the health care issue in the United States, their answer will be based on the coverage they have themselves. Those with decent coverage think the system works, and those that have none think it doesn't. That sounds a bit selfish to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home