Thursday, February 15, 2007

GRAND FATHER.....

It's been quite a while since I've written to my blog. Sorry, but I continue to wonder what to include here. Often my personal political views are too intense or offensive and my personal life too boring.

We have since traveled to California and I've now become a Grandfather. This is an interesting and far reaching title. GRAND Father.... like a super-sized Father, or a masterful father, or a major improvement on the normal father, or well, you get the idea. None of those is really accurate. The title makes it sound like I've got a really important position. Actually, I had very little to do with the conception of my new granddaughter, Chloe. I guess she wouldn't exist if I hadn't sired my son Damon, but that's about all I contributed. and... I've not really been a GRAND Father, not even to my son. I can think of a lot of better fathers, and a lot of things I could have done to be a better one. But I'm stuck with the name. GRAND Father. It's a lot to live up to. Being Grand that is.. I don't feel Grand. I feel old. I think it would be a fairer thing to call me Chloe's Oldest Father or her Senior Father, or maybe Aged Father... how about Grey Balding Father? Anything but Grand.

Thanks to tradition, I'm stuck with the title. Now.. what do I do as a GRAND Father? Do I move in with my son and resume my leadership role? (I'm sure I'd be welcomed.) Do I visit regularly and bring presents and food? Do I provide financial support for my granddaugher's excesses? Do I think of wise and wonderous things to say and write them down until Chloe becomes old enough to appreciate such wisdom (or at least until she can understand English..)? If she was a boy I bet I'm supposed to take him to a baseball game. But she isn't. What do I take a girl to? A ballet? A quilting meeting? A doll convention? Help? What do I do?

I suspect I don't do anything immediately but be a good sponge for Chloe stories and pictures. That I can do. (She is a cute little thing.) When she talks (and presumably listens) I can provide guidance that conflicts with whatever her mom or dad tells her, and I've been told I can spoil her like I could never spoil my own children. That's easy to do. I can do that.

I think I'll wait until she quits wearing a diaper before I visit her very much. That might be safer for both of us. It's been 24 years since I've used a pin to hold a baby together. I might hurt her if I had to diaper her. I suspect people expect someone GRAND to be able to diaper a baby. I'm not GRAND by any means.

Driving around the country in our RV makes it difficult to do that anyway. Maybe she will learn to do email before she talks or walks. I can do that. Maybe I can learn to play these on-line games so that I can play with her remotely? That'd be hard for me. I'm not too keen on game-playing. Maybe she can get a web cam and we can stand in front of cameras and have a good on-line Grand Father session.

When she is old enough that her parents will be glad to have some free time I can take her on RV Trips. It might be fun to be able to introduce her to the beautiful country we live in.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling. It's time to stop this blog. I don't think I'll figure out how to be a GRAND Father until I'm in the middle of doing it. It might be fun. I'll give it a try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

First, congratulations on your grandness. I have been Grand since 1996. The first time I held my first grandson, I hugged him up close and whispered in his ear "I am your FAVORITE grandmother, you WILL love me the best." I continued to do that until my son heard me, and I was told I could not say that to him anymore. So, now, I am the FabGrandma. Yes, when my son was stationed in England for several years, we had a webcam and microphones, and my grandson and I "chatted" over Yahoo Messenger. There was no other way for me to be a grandmother except for that, and it worked just fine. Now, whenever I see any of my grandchildren, I spoil them "grandly" and they love me best.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home