Friday, February 03, 2006

In Los Angeles

Sorry for being so negligent of my blog. It's hard to write a blog. It's hard to decide what of the million thoughts I have each day to share with total strangers, and some people that aren't.

In any case, I'll try to do better. I want to stay away from politics. It gets my stress level going and that is something I'm trying to minimize. I'm still very unhappy with the US political situation.. but that's another story.

Well, I'm not doing too well at managing my stress while in Los Angeles. Today we moved from one of our favorite haunts in the mountains above Palm Springs to another place about 60 miles away on the edge of Los Angeles. The RV Park isn't so bad, (it's up a canyon hidden from the rest of LA) but the freeways getting there are horrendous.

After arriving in the RV Park (Mountain Lakes in Lytle Creek), I left in the Jeep to go to Upland to take my wife to see her sister. I noticed that the traffic going the other way (on Interstate 15) was stopped for about 6 miles. I decided to come back another way to avoid this.

After driving through city streets, dodging various accidents and a fair share of idiot drivers, I was ready to return home. I was doing fine on city streets until I got about 3 miles from the freeway on-ramp (which I need to go under, not onto). It took 40 minutes to go those 3 miles. This was on a 2 lane feeder street, not the freeway.

I later found out this was normal for Friday. It starts about 3 PM and goes to who knows when. People are so desperate to leave Los Angeles they put up with hours of stop and go traffic, smelly fumes and idiot drivers. The smog in Los Angeles was so bad that you could see the layers like those in a layered cake.

OK... after all that detail... my question is: Why would anyone in their right mind want to live in this? I can not figure it out. I am here because of my wife's family. Maybe everyone has family nearby? Certainly they could find jobs elsewhere?

My lesson from this is that I am SO HAPPY to have the freedom to leave this mess soon and be back in places like Idaho, or Montana where you can drive for hours and see three cars and several Elk, Moose, Antelope, rabbits, etc..

Maybe it's my age, but I just have no tolerance for the noise, the smog, the rush, the pushing, the smells, the dirt, the trash, the traffic accidents, the miles and miles of franchise stores (Home Depot, Michaels, Boston Chicken, Radio Shack, Walmart, KFC, McDonalds...ad nauseum). Every city in the USA is starting to resemble every other city. The variation is getting smaller and smaller. No wonder people enjoy visiting European cities. At least there are regional variances that give you a sense that people have their own minds, with their own thoughts, separate cultures, etc.

Enough.

Good Night

1 Comments:

Blogger JasmineElla said...

This is a nice post.This will help us to inform that where we are now.This is anamazing.I like this content. This is a great article.I appreciate to this content.Thanks to share this blog.Keep sharing. RV Camping Southern California

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home