Saturday, February 04, 2006

Something Good

I've decided that I don't want to sound like an angry man, or a man without anything positive to say, so I want to promise any readers that I'll begin to balance my negative remarks with positive remarks. I don't mean that I'll balance every subject to make it sound neutral, but if I disparage George Bush, I'll think of something positive about the world to say at the same time.

People get tired of hearing of other people bitching and moaning about the world. That's because it's so easy to do. There's so much wrong. I suspect it's a bit harder to praise or find positive in something around you. I'm as guilty (or more) than the next person, so I'll try harder to balance my opinions with something positive. (Of course if I'm talking about something factual, or neutral, it doesn't count!)

I'm afraid I learned my negative attitude early in life. I was taught to be skeptical about everything. Not that being skeptical is bad.. it just doesnt' need to form the whole structure that holds my life together. It's good to be skeptical on the Internet, or when buying a car, or shopping for carpet, for instance.

So, what is my positive thing to balance my nasty thoughts I expressed yesterday about living in or near Los Angeles? Well, today I'm practising my music. I love music. Music is something I'd be unhappy without. It not only appeals to the emotional part of my being, but to the logical and creative sides. I'm always amazed at the talent I hear everywhere in music. It's closest to the universal form of communication that we can achieve. I smile when I hear a clever piece of lyric or melody. I amaze at the technical abilities of really good musicians, and I enjoy playing myself. (I learned Saxophone in high school, played a bit in college, and recently revived my playing with an electronic wind instrument (Yamaha WX-7 wind controller and VL1M synthesizer). It's a perfect instrument for the RV. I can use earphones and all my wife hears is the clicky-clack of my fingers (and that is soft).

So.. today's positive note is that music is good. I listen every day for several hours: classical, jazz, popular 40's, and show tunes (no I'm not gay). I listen to XM Satellite Radio, or music on my iPod when I'm walking the dog. Another day I'll talk about my feelings about where things are going with the technology of music.

So... have a nice day (even if you do live in Los Angeles).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home